rss
email
twitter
facebook

Sunday, January 31, 2010

Media Literacy

The video on media literacy was incredible! The fact that kids that young are able to access the web and use technology amazes me! I think it is very important for kids to learn how to use technology but i never imagined teaching this age group. A strong foundation in technology provides faster learning for the students when they move into higher grade levels. This video is encouraging for teachers because it shows that teaching students this young about technology and how to use it is very possible and seems to be easy. By making it fun and easy to understand for the young students, they would quickly learn.

Ms. Cassidy's first grade class is quite impressive with the kids' knowledge of technology. I think it is so awesome that the kids blog in their class. I think it is such a great way for the kids to get to write and practice and at the same time learn about technology and for parents and others to see their progress as well. Kids using this technology are more prepared for higher education and for life in the real world. Our society is based on technology and these kids are building strong foundations for their futures in technology.

Podcast

I thought the SmartBoard Lessons podcast was good. The guy gives full explanations of the topic he is talking about and gives his opinion on how it is useful. I thought that the fact he was in his car and ordering coffee was a bit confusing and distracting. I understand he was trying to make a point of how easy it is to use technology but to me it was distracting. In the KidCast podcast, the speaker speaks clearly and explains very thoroughly the idea of video podcast. He talks about all aspects of video podcasting such as equipment and instructions. This podcast is a good example for podcasting because it is interesting, explanatory and easy to understand.

The podcast by ConnectLearning was another good podcast. This is an interesting one because it is not just one person speaking but instead has a question and answer session. This type of podcast is more interesting because it has many people speaking and has people discussing topics and giving opinions. The podcast by EdTech Talk was also good but not the best one in my opinion. I found the sound quality to be poor. The content of the podcast was interesting and the speakers speak well and are understandable.

The MacBreak Weekly podcast was the best one to me because it was the highest quality. It had multiple people talking which is more interesting than just one speaking. They are talking about interesting topics that are important for people to hear about. They make it fun and interesting while still being informative.

The This Week In Photography podcast was another podcast of high quality. The people are entertaining on the show and have interesting topics. They give their opinion and full explanation on the topic which helps the listener know fully what they are listening to. The sound on this podcast is very clear which is a positive characteristic for a listener.

iPhone Babies

The video of this baby using is really awesome. It's amazing that children this young are able to use such advance technology. I think it's important for kids to learn about certain technologies while young. Technology can be very advantageous for kids and their development.

4 comments:

Jamie Anderson said...

Samuel,I agree that the kids in Ms. Cassidy's class are incredible. I think they are ahead of the curve for their age group in their use of technology. I too like the Kidcast podcast, I felt like it was the most informative. I agree that some of the others were entertaining, but I didn't feel like they were really telling me anything of value.

Monica S. said...

Totally agree about the smart board speaker, it was distracting. I agree with you that Ms. Cassidy's class was very impressive!

Jennifer Averitt said...

Good start Samuel. Please proof read, "but i never imagined". Keep in mind what you heard in the podcast for when you create your own. You will make a script and PRACTICE your podcast before recording. Keep up the good work.

Chelsea Steele said...

I was also very impressed by Mrs. Cassidy's class. I always had a preconceived notion that technology was only for older students, but I was very wrong!

Post a Comment