rss
email
twitter
facebook

Sunday, March 28, 2010


The Morgan Bayda Post

In the post on Morgan Bayda's blog, she discusses a video on YouTube by a guy named Dan Brown. Dan created the video basically explaining why he dropped out of the University of Nebraska. He says that he dropped out because his schooling was interfering with his education. In the video Dan talks about how universities in America are failing to make advances while the world around them changes. Morgan agrees with Dan in her blog. She uses examples to show how she too has been "cheated" by her university.

I agree with Morgan in many areas of her thinking. While I feel like I am getting a good education, I also think it could be a lot better. I share many of the same experiences in classrooms as Morgan. Many of my professors expect you to take notes from their lecture and have "assigned reading" which actually won't even be on the test. The test will come solely from the professors lecture so you are suppose to memorize any notes you have taken in that class. This form of teaching discourages me because I may know the facts for the test but overall some of it never sticks. I think topics should be covered thoroughly as needed by the students and discussed with the class, not read by the teacher from a powerpoint slide.

Like Morgan I too have learned through this education media class that my professors are not the only ones I can turn to for help. This class has encouraged me to search answers on my own or ask other educators out there for help. I never thought to ask someone for answers other than my professors. Of course someone out there can help me! Maybe even someone more qualified than my own professor. I think if universities picked up on many of the aspects of media in the classroom then education would be much more enjoyable for students and rewarding in the amount of information gained.

This post has been an extreme eye-opener. I'm not the only who is pissed about buying books I won't use for a class because we aren't taught from it. I think universities should make the needed adjustments to keep up with our technological society. Morgan and I share many same ideas but the most important thing is that we are both unafraid of change. I know change is necessary in most all parts of life and I do not fear it. Now if only America's education system would not fear change.

Comments4kids

My comments4kids this week was from Mrs. Kolbert's class blog. The student's post who I commented on was Leo. He asked, "What day is two day’s before the day after tomorrow?" I responded that it is today. To see his blog click here.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Hello Samuel, This is Brooke. I am commenting on your Morgan Bayda post. I had all of the same points in my post.

Post a Comment