rss
email
twitter
facebook

Saturday, May 1, 2010

Final Post

1. I think the byline for this class is definitely how to become a technologically literate teacher. After my first night of class I became familiar with this term and over the course of the semester I have come to truly understand it. I think it is so important to be tech literate in schools today because our world is changing fast and if you don't adapt you will get left behind. This class has taught me the importance of it and what tools I can use to make sure I'm prepared. Blogs have been the most important to me. I think it is awesome that so many people all over the world blog and anyone can read it. It is so cool to read post and watch videos and then have a place to write everything you think about them. Also comments for classmates, kids and teachers were all very important to me. With classmates it was interesting to see how other students responded to our assignments and that I could insert my opinion. Teachers and kids were cool because I got to see how teachers view their responsibilities and how they are trying to do more and with with kids I got to see how kids are learning to write using blogging and also how young these kids are using technology. Another important set of tools that we used were all of the Google programs such as Docs, presentations and spreadsheets. People spend so much money on Microsoft programs such as Office but all the Google products are free to use and do exactly the same thing. They were so easy to use and also easily accessible. You can work on a project anywhere just by signing in. Podcast and Videocast were also very cool to me. They are both so interesting because they are informative and also accessible. Making a Podcast was so much fun and to me it was quite an accomplishment. A very important aspect of this class is our PLNs. I learned the importance of staying connected and also how to do that by using Twitter, Skype and other tools.

2. I would have liked to work on making better quality videos in this class. I have a Mac and would love been able to make more "professional" videos.

3. There is nothing that I learned in this class that I wish I hadn't learned.

4. This class did excite in the fact that I learned so many different useful things I can use in the classroom. Being able to incorporate technology in my classroom excites me because we live in such a technologically savvy world. I think students will enjoy this.

5. While not many things were too difficult I think blogging and commenting were somewhat challenging. Every week you had to come up with something to write about or comment on so you are constantly thinking through your words. Very good practice though.

6. Not a second of boredom.

7. I think this only particularly pertains to my class. While it was nice to have some nights off, I would have rather had a pretty steady class schedule especially since it is a once a week class. I personally learn better in a classroom setting and I understood more things and did more work when in class.

8. I believe I am technologically literate. I think after this class I'd say I'm on a good level, so past medium probably.

9. I think one way I will maintain my tech literacy is by continuing to blog. I love doing it and I think I will continue to. And to improve it I will try to become more familiar with the tools on my Mac and how they can help me. When I start teaching I plan to incorporate many of the things I have learned in this class.

1 comment:

John Hadley Strange said...

You sound like me - blogs, comments4kids are probably my two favorites as well. And as far as movies go, you have the best tool available. The tutorials with iMovie are excellent. It just takes practice - and a good camera. have you used iMovie to capture video directly from your built in camera? A breeze to do1 And I have just gotten a Flip camera (HD). Not free, but only $129 after discount from Amazon (buy camera and $20 gift card at same time and get $20 off plus gift card). Have to look closely, but the offer is there. Fantastic for interviews. Will take 2 hours of video. You have to get close "in their face" but a fantastic tool.

So practice. Make lots of movies. Post them to YouTube and you will be an expert in no time at all! Let me know about them too. Maybe even publish them on the EDM310 Alumni Blog .

Post a Comment